Wednesday 9 January 2013

Search Challenge: When Will the Sun Hit the Beach?

Search Challenge: When Will the Sun Hit the Beach?Daniel Russell knows how to find the answers to questions you can't get to with a simple Google query. In his weekly Search Research column, Russell issues a search challenge, then follows up later in the week with his solution?using whatever search technology and methodology fits the bill.

Ah...the life of a research scientist! I'm attending a conference on Maui this week. (And no, I really haven't been to the beach? yet. So far, I've been indoors for 3 days straight.) I DO hope to get to the beach tomorrow morning. However, I also don't want to get a sunburn (or miss any of the great talks that start early in the morning).

Since I'm an early riser, I'm planning on going to the beach at the crack of dawn and hang out there until the sun hits the beach. Then, the moment the sunlight strikes those golden sands, I'll head back inside and get to work, giving me a few idyllic moments of walking along the beach.

I think this is a non-trivial problem to figure out. But I worked it, and was surprised by the answer. I suspect you will be too.

And it leads to today's sensemaking problem to work out...

Question: If I'm at the beach at 20.68183, -156.44322 (Wailea Beach Park), what time will the sunlight hit the beach sand there tomorrow morning, January 10th, 2013?

Be sure to tell us how long it took you to figure this out, and HOW you worked it out!!

Search on!

Wednesday search challenge (1/9/13): When will the sun hit the beach? | SearchReSearch


Daniel M. Russell studies the way people search and research?an anthropologist of search, if you will. You can read more from Russell on his SearchReSearch blog, and stay tuned for his weekly challenges (and answers) here on Lifehacker.

Source: http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/lifehacker/full/~3/qrExOTmlYSI/search-challenge-when-will-the-sun-hit-the-beach

Geminid meteor shower right to work Clackamas Town Center 12 12 12 Anne Hathaway Wardrobe Malfunction jennifer lawrence man of steel

No comments:

Post a Comment